Friday, July 18, 2008

Kismat Konnection

I just returned from the opening show of Kismat Konnection starring Vidya Balan and Shahrukh Khan...oops, I mean Shahid Kapoor.



I have an announcement to make to Aziz Mirza, and any other Bollywood director who plans on casting Shahid Kapoor in the future: Shahid Kapoor is not Shahrukh Khan. He will never be Shahrukh Khan. He is Shahid Kapoor. And I like him just the way he is--when he is doing his own thing, like he was in Jab We Met and Vivah.

I mean, really, it was quite obvious that Mizra was trying to mold Shahid into "The Next Shahrukh Khan" in Kismat Konnection. Raj (yes, his name was Raj) had it all-- He made the same facial expressions and hand gestures. The tone of his voice was eerily similar. He even a Shahrukh-esque hairstyle. And to top it all off, King Khan himself opened the movie in a typical Bollywood narrative--as if to "pass the torch". Come on, people!



Shahid Kapoor looked completely out of his element in this comedic role. But then again, he was playing a part that was written for someone else--Shahrukh Khan. Aziz Mizra, who cast Shahrukh in previous films, said he did not ask him to play the lead in Kismat Konnection because he is getting to old for this type of thing. But Mizra apparently forgot that fact when making his film.

What's ironic about all of this is I believe Shahid has the possibility to become a very, very successful hero in Indian cinema--like Shahrukh Khan has--as long as he is himself. But this is not the answer. After all, Shahrukh Khan didn't climb his way to the top by emulating Amitabh Bachchan, did he?

But let me get to Kismat Konnection, which could have made me overlook all of that had it been a worthwhile film. Unfortunately--and it pains me to say this, because I was so excited--it was not.

The story has the basic rom-com sketch, minus anything special to grab ahold of you. Boy is having career problems and meets Girl. Boy uses Girl because she somehow holds the key to him getting a promotion or deal at work. In the process, Boy falls in love with Girl. Boy realizes he has to come clean with Girl before she finds out on her own of his deception. Sound familiar? I'm sure you can guess the outcome.



Sure, the whole "good luck charm" idea is a fresh little twist, but its not explored in great enough detail to make you care.

I took my three year old daughter to see this with me, and she kept acting up in the movie theater. But by the time intermission rolled around, I didn't mind the distraction. I realize I may have enjoyed the film a little more had I went by myself--But I honestly doubt it.

At the risk of sounding too filmi-wannabee, I'll say that, for me, a major weakness of the film was a lack of chemistry between the two leads. Vidya looked positively wooden in most of her light-hearted scenes with her costar, especially when she smiled. Maybe she was nervous--it seems like she's got a little crush on Shahid in real life (Get in line, Sister). But as for the film, I got nothing. There wasn't even enough written in the script for me to believe these two were falling for each other.

This was a huge disappointment, because I really wanted Shahid and Vidya to light the screen on fire, particularly for Vidya's sake. She sounded so excited about her onscreen jodi with Shahid in the interviews I'd read, and I really wanted her to have her moment where she could prove her critics wrong. Seriously, it seems like someone is always picking on her dancing, her fashion sense, her weight, and her lack of chemistry with her costars. And where the latter is concerned, this time, there was none.

As for her dancing and fashion sense, I just know Vidya's going to get heat for this. Some of her outfits were awful, and she looked really uncomfortable in her dance sequences (particularly the very last song). I think Vidya's a fine actress, but maybe, like Shahid, her role just wasn't suited for her.



And, speaking of the music, the songs in Kismat Konnection even failed to gain the attention of my three year old. Some of the visuals were cool, but...nothing too memorable.

The brightest spot in my experience at the theater today was a preview for a film about supermodels called Fashion starring Priyanka Chopra. It looks like it could be the ideal role for her--perhaps this will be her moment to prove she is more than just a pretty face. Or maybe it'll just be another Laaga Chunari Mein Daag...all glitter, no substance.

Well, it seems to be my kismet that every time I see a film on opening day its a letdown. Maybe next time I'll wait a day or two. Or maybe I need to find my own "good luck charm". Clearly, it's not my daughter...and it's not Shahid or Vidya!

Text © 2008 Nida Nazir Bitten By Bollywood

No comments:

Post a Comment