Thursday, January 24, 2008

Jab We Met


Dear Kareena Kapoor,

I owe you an apology.

Frankly, I never liked you very much. I really don't know why. It could have been the way you and SRK pawed at each other in that dreadful hotel scene in Don. Or maybe it was the voice in the back of my head during Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham that kept shouting, "Paris Hilton!" every time you were onscreen. Or perhaps I thought you were arrogant after reading some comments you made about your peers on Bollywhat.com.
Whatever the case was, one thing was clear- you were not one of my favorite actresses.

Until I saw Jab We Met, a darling romantic comedy that delighted me from beginning to end. This movie made me realize I was wrong. How foolish I was to judge you off of two performances and some quotes about Salman Khan (who I happen to also think can't really act)!


You were awesome as Geet! I didn't know you had it in you, Bebo! I could learn to love you like this. You were spunky, witty, adorable, full of life... You even did a good job at fake-crying! And your au naturale look really showed off your hidden gorgeousness. For the first time I didn't think about the Paris Hilton thing!

Bravo, Kareena. Thank you (and mostly your production crew) for giving us a romantic comedy that doesn't consist of the two leads hopping into bed together and falling in love later (if ever). Pay attention, Hollywood...


And although I may be making a hasty decision here based off of one viewing, I'm going to say this next comment anyways: Forget the mild similarities to Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. I liked this movie even better than DDLJ.

If it wouldn't be too awkward for you (Because let's not kid ourselves, we've all read the stories), please pass this message onto your costar: His portrayal of Aditya was just as memorable. This character was exactly what I would want in a man. The guy had just been dumped, and may have moped around for most of the beginning, but he dropped his baggage in a flash once he saw what a gem Geet was. He never said to her, "Well, I've just been through a lot, so I need some time to heal before jumping into anything serious". No. He wasn't going to let this one get away. And I appreciated that there was no cliched "resurfacing" of his ex towards the end, forcing him to choose between her and Geet. In fact, she was never mentioned again after the love story started to kick in. Aditya was falling for Geet, and never once looked back at the woman who had left him. He never made her feel like she would be second best. Whoo-hoo! Now that's a man.


I'm glad you and your ex turned out Jab We Met before things got ugly. The world is a better place because of it, I'm convinced. Your cute little movie was so good, I've moved it onto my favorites shelf, right next to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Dil Chata Hai. It deserves to be there.

Well, Kareena, you did it. You managed to change my opinion about you and give me a new movie to love, all in one shot. Thanks again for the good work-- I'll be looking forward to your next films. In the meantime, I'll be recommending this one to anyone who will listen.

Oh! And one more thing...If you didn't want Shahid, you could have just passed him along this way. Seriously.

Text © Copyright Nida Nazir 2008 Link to Home

No comments:

Post a Comment