Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hum

I contemplated even writing about Hum, because I didn't feel excited enough to either praise or criticize it.


The 1991 Amitabh Bachchan starrer Hum ended up in my possession by accident when the lady at the video store misunderstood what I was asking for(I had requested Hum Tum starring Saif Ali Khan and Rani Mukerjee), and placed it in my pile of films to rent. I didn't notice the mix up until I got home, and was too tired to go back. Anyways, I reasoned, it couldn't hurt to watch it for the sake of the blog, and I needed to start somewhere on my list of Amitabh Bachchan movies(So far I've seen a pathetic two, not counting the newer ones or this one, but I promise to get going on this asap).

I'm assuming Hum probably wasn't a very good place to start. For one, it just wasn't my kind of movie. I don't like violence, I'm not a fan of the goofy side of Anupam Kher(I like goofiness, just not when he does it), and I thought the women's roles were a bit degrading(I'm really talking about Tiger's girlfriend Jumma's first scenes in the film, in which she is portrayed like a sexual object and teased by an army of men. And they got her wet in almost every one of those introductory scenes). Amitabh Bachchan was Amitabh Bachchan, as I've seen him so far. It was kind of neat to see a younger Govinda, but by the time he came into the picture I was already leaning towards boredom.

Considering that Hum really isn't my cup of tea anyways, I don't think I'm qualified to write a productive review on it. But I will say that I went into it with a completely open mind, willing to watch a bit of overdramatized kicks and punches so I could have something to say about it.

And it just didn't give me much.

Text (c) 2008 Nida Nazir Bitten By Bollywood

No comments:

Post a Comment