Friday, January 11, 2008

Dil Chata Hai

Just when I thought I couldn't love Bollywood any more than I already do, my friends at Jaman recommend a movie like Dil Chata Hai to remind me that I ain't seen nothing yet.




Dil Chata Hai is a rare story about three male friends and their personal journey into a little thing called love. It's not too sappy or melodramatic,but it has has its touching moments. There's just enough romance for the chick flick lover in you, but the real heart of the movie lies in the changing relationship between the three friends played by Aamir Khan, Akshaye Khanna, and Saif Ali Khan.

These guys have an onscreen chemistry that I haven't seen between three men in a long time(I'm thinking since Three Men and A Baby. Quite a different film, but...humor me). Their personalities are each so different and balance the story out to perfection.

Aamir Khan as Aakash dazzles me with his talent once again, but I'm sure that's no surprise to those of you who grew up watching his films. Saif Ali Khan as Sameer continues to make me laugh by his voice, facial expressions, and body language alone. But it was Akshaye Khanna(who has the cutest chin ever)as Sid, the artist with a heart of gold who falls for a divorced woman with a drinking problem, who really caught me off guard. I had no idea Bollywood had it in her to come up with a story like this, but give me more! Being a single mother(and half Pakistani herself, a culture where this is seriously frowned upon), it always bothers me that women are labeled so harshly once divorced or widowed, and I loved that Sid was man enough to stand up against the ridicules and jokes from his own best friend because he just didn't care what people would think. How many men would do that?

The feud that situation created between Aakash and Sid is also brought to a moving end when Aakash admits he was wrong and Sid forgives him wholeheartedly. I'm embarrassed to think back to some of the friendships I had, particularly when I was a teenager, that ended on a stupid argument which I had too much pride to repair. I'm glad Aakash grew up and realized that was not going to happen to him, and happy that Sid didn't let things change their friendship after that. Just another beautiful touch to an already perfect film!

I have to mention Dimple Kapadia as Tara(Sid's love interest). She's amazing. Simply amazing. I won't say anymore, but if you see the movie, I won't have to.

Wow. When I come across a movie like this, it reminds me why I write about Bollywood in the first place!

Text (c) Nida Nazir, 2008 Bitten By Bollywood

No comments:

Post a Comment