Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Jhoom Barabar Jhoom

Surprisingly, a lot funnier than I thought.


If you're going to enjoy Jhoom Barabar Jhoom, you'll have to be able to tolerate a few things and accept it for what it really is-- A glitzy comedy that is only funny because its ridiculous, and a showcase for flashy choreography with some smokin' fashion.

In order to appreciate the humor in JBJ, you'll probably have to be somebody who likes "stupid-funny" films. This is the first one I've encountered in Bollywood, but in Hollywood we give movies such as The Big Lebowski and Happy Gilmore this label (These are actually classics, and JBJ isn't really on par with them, but if I'm trying to think of other comedies that made me laugh at the same types of shallow jokes, these are the first that come to mind). Since I happen to be someone who is easily amused by meaningless comedies, I got a few good laughs out of JBJ.

The source of most of that laughter was none other than Abhishek Bachchan. I was pleasantly surprised with how easily he slipped into a comedic role. Hard to believe this was the same uptight cop from Dhoom 2. He played a goofball so effortlessly, and for some reason I found it really hilarious when:

1)He said words such as "Huffy Bhai" and "beautifuler" and "whatchasayin".

2)His phone said "Hey, Handsome" when it rang.

3)He made a pouty face in the song "Ticket to Hollywood"...which, by the way, had me cracking up just because it is a song titled "Ticket to Hollywood". I will never forget him and Lara Dutta prancing around to those insanely silly lyrics. Classic!

4)Ouch. Why'd he have to call Pakistani movies crap?

I didn't think Bobby Deol and Preity Zinta's scenes were quite as funny as Abhi's and Lara's, but they got better in the second half. Just a little bit.

Another thing you'll have to keep in mind when watching this movie is that it has a lot of music. A lot. I happen to love Bollywood music, so this was right up my alley, but if you're the type of person that doesn't get why a Hindi movie includes songs in the first place, you may have an issue with the dance contest that seems like it never ends. It's three rounds(that feels like four) of nothing but beautiful costumes and slick choreography. Then again, both women look amazing, if that sparks any interest in you. I was particularly wowed by Preity Zinta throughout the movie, whose clothes and makeup were hot, hot, hot!


Speaking of makeup, because I used to work for MAC, I really, really appreciated the scene done in front of a MAC counter. It was just awesome to see Preity Zinta standing in front of a shelf stocked with lipliners similar to the one I stood in front of for five years. Ahh, once a MAC girl, always a MAC girl...


There is one more bonus to watching Jhoom Barabar Jhoom that deserves to be mentioned. "Bol Na Halke" is extremely pleasing to the eye...The colors, clothes, and photography are just breathtaking. In my opinion, the music itself isn't even as beautiful as the presentation is. (Not that its not a pretty song, it is, but when I listen to it on my Ipod it seems to have lost some of its sparkle). I liked Abhi and Preity's friendship jodi in KANK, but here their contrasting looks make them a really striking romantic pair, too.

On a personal note, I need to know the actress's name that played Alvira's younger cousin. Does anybody know? She just looks so much like my sister! Here are the pictures to prove it:

The actress:

My sister:














The actress again:

And my sister again:


To be honest, I don't know if these pictures do the resemblance justice, but if you met my sister you would know where I'm coming from on this...Ahh, and they say we all have a twin somewhere...Either that or Papi Nazir has some explaining to do!

Basically, because of its shallow story, JBJ could technically be called an "awful" film...But that's what stupid-funny comedies are all about(if you don't get that sentence, then this movie is probably not for you)! At least it was directed well and had subtitles that made sense, which is more than I can say for the other movie I watched today. If you like dancing, fashion, and a few cheap laughs, you'll likely get a kick out of Jhoom Barabar Jhoom.

I have to confess that I did.

Text (c) Nida Nazir 2008 Link to Home

No comments:

Post a Comment