Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fanaa

The fact that Fanaa tries to be romantic, suspenseful, and unique (with a bit of action thrown in)all at once will probably make you either love it or hate it.


I, of course, absolutely loved it. I realized that completely when I saw Rishi Kapoor get up and join in on a song about an ant sucking sugar, and found it endearing instead of ridiculous(I get that it's a tongue twister and not supposed to make 100% sense, but to see Rishi's character hopping around in the snow with that hat on...it just made me laugh, but in a good way).

This was my second Kajol movie, the first being Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. I didn't remember liking her quite so much in that, but since viewing Fanaa I have seen three more Kajol movies and loved her in every single one. With Zooni she was more toned down than the high pitched character in KKKG, and that gave me a chance to see what she was really capable of, the natural fun loving energy she brings to all of her roles. She is now one of my favorite actresses, hands down, and I can see why she is so adored in India.


Since I loved Kajol's character from the first opening scene, I could tell there was a good chance I would really like Fanaa.

Aamir Khan's entrance, and my first experience with him, was thrilling because they coupled it with an awesome song like "Chand Sifarish". I felt like I did when I was a kid and would go see a new Disney movie, the first song introducing the main character. They kept teasing us with it by playing the opening beat again and again until we already had the tune in our heads...
Although Aamir's entrance was slick, and I could tell I was supposed to think he was "a real killer"(to quote the subtitles) in the looks department, I kept thinking that if Zooni wasn't blind he wouldn't stand a chance.(**Spoilers coming up**) But by the time we got to the second half and Aamir was the wounded soldier struggling with when to come clean with Zooni as he was falling in love with her all over again, I was melting over the guy. It must have been that bandage he had on his head for most of the second half of the film! For some strange reason, he looked good with that dumb thing on!


Since re-watching this movie with my mom, I came to appreciate Aamir even more. The man can seriously act! Can't wait to see more of his films!

Besides the performances, Fanaa has quite a unique little plot. Even if the whole action/spy story was a bit lame to you(it wasn't to me, but the scenes with the Anti-Terrorism Unit chats were boring), you can't deny that the idea of Zooni living with Rehan and not knowing his identity because she was blind when they were together is pretty darn cool. Now why couldn't I have thought of something like that?

And how about the chemistry in the movie? "Dekho Na" was one of the steamiest scenes I've ever seen, done without any kissing at all! When I saw this movie I thought Aamir and Kajol were wayy hotter than the famous Shahrukh-Kajol pairing. Since then I've perhaps changed my opinion after viewing Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, but I do think the Aamir-Kajol chemistry is different. Their chemistry is more adult, more mature sexuality while I think Shahrukh and Kajol share more of a butterfly-in-your stomach, first love kind of chemistry. And after watching their "conversation" on Fanaa's special feature DVD, I think Aamir wishes Kajol was single.


One last mentionable- "Mere Haath Mein" has to be the most beautiful song in a Bollywood movie I've come across so far. And again, due to the teaser for it in the background, by the time the song came on I felt like I already knew the tune and loved it. And by the way, Kajol's hair still looks good with snowflakes falling on it. Mine would have turned into a frizzy afro before Aamir could say, "Tere ishq mein meri jaan fanaa ho jaaye."

Text (c) 2007 Nida Nazir Bitten By Bollywood

No comments:

Post a Comment